1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this enough room?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MKingsolver, Jul 12, 2011.

1. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Hi everyone! We have 12 chicks and our coop is going to be 4 X 71/2 with 6 nesting boxes and their run is going to be 7 1/2 X 10. Is this enough room for everyone or should I thin out my flock eventually?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I think you might need a bit bigger space,but I am just going by my own experience.I have 7 hens and 1 rooster.I have them in a 6x8 shed. They had the entire yard,but are now limited to a 20x 90 foot area(guessing). When I just had the 7 hens in the shed during the winter,and in a very small run off the shed they pecked at each other a lot.

3. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    I would have to think that the coop is big enough but the run is not. You are probably going to have to cull the flock down to about half.

My coop is 8ftx4ft with 5 nesting boxes. My run is about 9ftx25ft. I currently only have 4 laying hens but I plan to have more in the not to distant future.
    [​IMG]

4. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    Crap. Well, I don't plan on culling anyone so I guess we're going to have to make the run bigger [​IMG] Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to look at expanding the coop too. A coop should allow about 4 square foot per bird of inside space. Currently you have 2 sq ft. As another person said, you will likely have a lot of pecking and fighting issues. As to outside, you need 10x12 minimum and your birds will love you if there was more available

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by