Is this even possible? 15w pullet with all the signs of laying, but comb says otherwise. ..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KNelly, Nov 12, 2014.

1. KNelly

KNelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    I'm new to chickens. This is my first ever flock. This whole time I've been wondering when my 2 oldest chickens are gonna lay, but after talking to others and reading what the signs were I realized my 15w Speckled Sussex has a lot of those signs. Although her comb is not completely mature and red...she is squatting like crazy, has become way more vocal than normal, has been running in and out of the coop which she has never done. I don't know...her overall behavior has changed completely. Is it possible for her to lay soon even though her comb is underdeveloped and pale?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is possible for a 15 week old pullet to begin laying, regardless of how developed her comb and wattles are. The usual laying age is 5-6 months, but I've even heard on BYC of a pullet laying at around 12 weeks old! I suspect that it will be a few weeks longer before your pullet lays, though she may still be a somewhat above-average early layer.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by