1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE!??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama Bird, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Mama Bird

Mama Bird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    OK, my chickens lay eggs a couple of times every few months or so. And i was wondering if anyone has tried incubating these? would two chicks hatch. or would two chicks start developing and then die because of each other interfering with the other? thanx -mama bird-

2. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Interfering? What do you mean by that?

3. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Do you mean double-yolked eggs? I have never tried to incubate them, I've always wondered what would happen but I've been too scared to try.

4. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    I mean, I've /heard/ of someone doing that, and two chicks developed, but I'm not sure how it turned out ^^;;

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I've read several instances of people incubating double-yolked eggs, but none have been successful to my knowledge.

The 2 embryos develop up to a point, but there is just enough room inside the shell for 1 chick to develop fully. Perhaps, if the eggshell could expand as the chicks grow, then it might be possible to hatch these.

Stephanie

6. Mama Bird

Mama Bird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    thanxs everyone, zimmy srry i meant, interfeare/ like to stop something from happening, like......." your dog inerfeared with the dinner you were having last night, by eating the turkey before anyone had any" ( oh my gosh im so bad at spelling!)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by