Is this feed good enough for laying hens?

j0hnharris

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2020
Iraq
Is this feed good enough for laying hens?

Attachments

• photo_2020-12-19_00-16-51.jpg
    photo_2020-12-19_00-16-51.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 16
Or, you can use that feed which is fine and the next bag get layer pellets or layer crumble. It already has the extra calcium laying hens need without the trouble of keeping up with oyster shell. I’ll probably take some heat for that but I like to keep it as simple as possible.

Or, you can use that feed which is fine and the next bag get layer pellets or layer crumble. It already has the extra calcium laying hens need without the trouble of keeping up with oyster shell. I’ll probably take some heat for that but I like to keep it as simple as possible.
See, the reason people have been switching their laying hens to grower feed is because the protein is higher and what they need all the time - especially during a molt. Layer feed forces them to consume a specified amount of calcium, which can be harmful to their health in the long run. Plus, if you have roosters it’s much easier because roosters can’t eat layer feed (they don’t lay eggs so the calcium has no purpose so it builds up in the kidneys). I think it’s healthier for laying hens to have the protein enriched food and a choice regarding how much calcium they consume - they know when they need it and when they don’t.

Back
Top Bottom