Is this feed good quality and healthy for my birds?

In the USA, feed will have a mill date somewhere on the package. It's the day the feed was milled, not a 'use by' date, as on human foods.
If the bag doesn't have a mill date on it, ask at the store, and if they can't show you the date on the bag, buy something else, or shop elsewhere.
I want to use chicken feed within two months of the mill date always, and store it in the original feed bags in metal garbage cans in the coop.
Other issues could be mites or lice on the birds, internal parasites, molting. or ???
Mary

I looked for a mill date but was unable to find one. I plan on calling the feed store tomorrow to see if I'm just not seeing it. I have been looking for a different feed to maybe get better egg production but after hours of searching was unable to find any organic soy free feed unless I wanted to pay $50 for 25 pounds. I would have thought more brands would start carrying soy free feed. Looks like I have no choice but to stick with this at the moment. I think their having other issues on top of maybe the feed. Coccidiosis seems like a good possibility. Thank you for the help!

Small feed mills usually make mash, because of the cost of the machinery to make pellets, and then crumble. They may also vary in quality control; do they have every batch assayed? Freshest ingredients? Hidden mill date information, or in code?
Mary

Small feed mills usually make mash, because of the cost of the machinery to make pellets, and then crumble. They may also vary in quality control; do they have every batch assayed? Freshest ingredients? Hidden mill date information, or in code?
Mary

I am unsure wether they get every batch assayed and have fresh ingredients but I plan to find out, or at least try. Their was a code on the bag but It didn't look like there was a date within it.

I'm offended by any feed company who has their mill dates in code! Why hidden? The seller should have a 'code book' deciphering what's on the bag, available for the asking, but really?
Some companies use straight dating, and some use 'Julian' dating, which is still an open date, just different. But coded? Not good!
Mary

I'm offended by any feed company who has their mill dates in code! Why hidden? The seller should have a 'code book' deciphering what's on the bag, available for the asking, but really?
Some companies use straight dating, and some use 'Julian' dating, which is still an open date, just different. But coded? Not good!
Mary

I agree, it's definitely unsettling. Like I mentioned before I would love to switch to a new feed but options for soy free organic are almost non existent. I'll just have to keep a look out I guess. Thank you for all your help and replies, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom