is this feed ok for cornishX chicks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sydney13, Nov 14, 2011.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have an order of 8 broilers (6 cornishX and 2 freedom ranges) coming next week. When I asked at the feed store they told me they were all out of broiler feed but that the all flock feed would work fine instead. When I got home I realized this all flock feed I bought is only 17% protein and not for birds under 7 weeks.
    I went back again today and bought a bag of unmedicated chick starter feed to use instead for the meat chicks. Now is it just me or is most chick starter 20% protein? The chick starter I bought is only 18%.... which of course I realized after buying it and returning home [​IMG]
    Would this 18% protein be ok for the Cornish cross chicks or is it too low in protein?
    I guess if it's not than I should go with turkey/gamebird feed instead (assumeing they have that in stock), right?
    And how long can I expect a 50 lb. bag of feed to last with 6 cornishX and 2 freedom rangers?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I don't see why they wouldn't be okay...might not grow quite as fast...but they should be fine on that. Around here, the ONLY NONmedicated "starter/grower" we can find is 18%...I did feed the 20% medicated...but only one bag for 20 broiler chicks...

Both Meyer and Welp have a chart online that shows feed consumed/age in weeks for the broiler chicks...not sure how it would apply to the others you are getting though...never raised those....I will say mine are pretty close to the chart though...I'd bet that one 50 lb bag will take you pretty close to the end with the broilers though...2 bags of feed total for all of them through processing I'd bet...

Good luck with them! I am absolutely loving raising our broilers - already ordered more today and splitting that box with a friend...I know...it's winter...but it's pretty mild here where we are...I swear I sit and watch them grow sometimes!

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Glad to here that [​IMG] The last thing I want to do is go out and buy yet another type of feed
    I'll try supplementing their diet with some high protein treats (worms, etc) to make up for the protein.
    They hatch on the 21 and according to the hatchery (Ideal) their birds should be ready in less than 6 weeks. Do you think I could expect to have at least one of my biggest birds ready within 5 weeks (Christmas time [​IMG]). I'm guessing not due to being free range and the temp dropping but just thought i'd ask [​IMG]

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Probably not...BUT...you COULD take your "biggest ones" and turn them into "cornish game hens"....and make several little chickens all roasted delicious....it's just a thought [​IMG]

5. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    They will be okay, but they really need a higher percentage to get started.. The chick starter that you got was for layers and not broilers... I would use the turkey game bird feed, that is what I started mine on, actually it was a broiler, turkey, gamebird feed.. ... I started mine on a 25% and dropped to a 20% at 4wks and will keep them on it til processing... I am sure others will suggest other things but this is my suggestion.. As far as some being ready by 5wks, you would definitely need to keep them on a higher protein than 18%.. Mine are going to be 6wks in 2 days and are nowhere near ready, and have had access to feed 24/7 since the day I got them.. I raised red broilers my last batch and was clueless when it came to the % difference for broilers vs. layers and they didn't grow like they should have because I had them on a layer chick start.. The % makes a huge difference...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We've had our cornish x on 20% since day one. We started with 14 x and 10 egg layers at the same time. We butchered a few for cornish hens at 3 and 4 weeks which dressed out about 2 lbs each on the 20% feed. We dressed out two last week at 6 weeks of age and they were 5 lbs. We are going to process 4 more next weekend and let the last two go for another week to see how big they get. We are on our 4th 50lb of feed this week but we are feeding our egg layers the same stuff and pretty much let the x's have as much as they will eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by