Is this fertile?

Chickenp00p

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
I've never looked for a fertile egg before, I've tried to look it up online, I think it's fertilized? I just wanted to ask people that have looked at tons of them. It seems like there's a ring around it, but I can't be sure.

I darkened the picture a little bit so maybe you could see the white a little better.

Attachments

• 20200608_095251.jpg
    20200608_095251.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200608_095333.jpg
    20200608_095333.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 8
I got the hen from a feed store, and the man had them caged with a rooster. I saw the rooster mount one of my hens, but wasn't sure about this one, as I believe this is her first egg!

My feeling is, let the roo be with the hens for two weeks. Then you don’t need to worry or ask - it’s fertile.

I don't own a rooster, the feed store I got them from had a rooster in the cage with them. I know he mounted one of my hens, I saw it when I was there. I just wasn't sure about this particular hen because I believe this is the first egg she's laid. So I just wanted to see if he got her too.

First egg at your place, or first egg ever? The first egg a pullet lays or even the first egg in a clutch is usually not fertile or viable.

First egg at your place, or first egg ever? The first egg a pullet lays or even the first egg in a clutch is usually not fertile or viable.

I thought it was her first egg ever, as it took almost a week for her to lay, and she seemed pretty flustered. I suppose it could have been because of the new environment. She could have laid previous eggs, I wouldn't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom