Is this fowl pox or something else?

hernameisoyster

Hatching
Apr 19, 2022
My long-term partner (@HerNameisAlfredo) posted about a chicken he had gotten from my mom's, who was lying down and not able to stand too well. She's now developed growths on and around her beak, and on/around her eyelids. These have all grown in the time between him posting and now.

The list he posted, with addendums is thus
1) Half silke/half aracauna, around ~4 months, normal weight now. She hasn't been able to stand or walk. She can move her legs just fine.
2) About three weeks.
3) No other bird is exhibiting this problem. She is separated from the flock.
4) No trauma.
5) See above.
6) Water, purina flock raiser crumble or hen scratch
7) Normal since eating by herself. Initial poops were very solid until a couple days after the mash mix, then pretty runny, but normalized now.
8) No treatment other than what was described above. Eyes had been given Vetericyn for the mild discharge, and lids sticking together.

9) Have brought to vet, vet doesn't think there's anything that can be done and has recommended putting the chicken down.

10) Have been keeping her suspended in sling over pine shavings for easier cleanup, has been on a towel for that day's vet visit.

11) She gets B complex and E vitamins at night before bed.

He's been giving her the vitamins suggested in the previous thread but... I don't know what this is now. She still can't stand, but she's a lot more energetic and noisy.

Here's a picture. I put it under the spoiler tag because it's kinda gross.
20221001_192111.jpg

I have the photo where people can see it along with the link to the other thread below.

I agree, it does look like Fowl Pox.
Still hard to know what's going on with the chick.
It's good that you consulted a vet. Sometimes, it's a kindness to let a little one like this go, especially if they are suffering.

If you don't want to do that, then continue as you are in trying to treat and hope for the best.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-on-its-side-and-cant-stand-up-help.1550028/
1664683210733.png

Back
Top Bottom