Is this fowl pox?

FeatheredChicken

Hatching
Nov 25, 2022
I have a 3 year old sex-link hen who has dots growing on her comb. Yesterday we noticed them but thought they were mosquito bites. But we checked again today and noticed there were more spots than yesterday. We done some research and found it might be fowl pox. She is eating and drinking as usual.
Any ideas?
Amber.PNG

Last edited:
Hmm, is there anything she can get her comb caught in in her coop?
I don't think there is any ting she can scratch her comb on plus her comb is floppy and the part with the dots are facing down.
Maybe insect bites such as mosquitoes or fleas. Hard to say.
Usually when our chickens get mosquito bites there are no purple spots on the comb like yesterday.
Here are the purple spots
Amber 2.PNG

We put antiseptic on the comb yesterday and checked today and the purple ones were all dried up except for the top one.
Are there any on her wattles or on the other side of her face and comb? Fowl pox is sometimes difficult to tell from pecks, and scabs can range from beige, tan, to almost black. Here is a link with pictures of the different coloring from the beginning:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-graphic-pictures-under-construction.47704/
There are none anywhere else on her face. I also just checked what she was vaccinated for and found she was only vaccinated for Mareks. She is the only hen we have currently and we were going to get vaccinated chicks but I'm not sure now it might spread to them.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any ting she can scratch her comb on plus her comb is floppy and the part with the dots are facing down.

Usually when our chickens get mosquito bites there are no purple spots on the comb like yesterday.
Here are the purple spots
View attachment 3337817
We put antiseptic on the comb yesterday and checked today and the purple ones were all dried up except for the top one.

There are none anywhere else on her face. I also just checked what she was vaccinated for and found she was only vaccinated for Mareks. She is the only hen we have currently and we were going to get vaccinated chicks but I'm not sure now it might spread to them.
It could be fowl pox but to my knowledge, there's no vaccine for it. They get it through mosquitos, ride it out and never get it again, it's not a big concern.

Dry Fowl Pox are not usually a significant health issue. No vaccine needed. They're a once-and- done thing. Unless the pox appear infected, just leave them alone, and let them run their course. They're usually over it within a week to 10 days from the initial onset.

Back
Top Bottom