Is this frost bite?

okiemamachick

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
Oklahoma
I would have thought the tips would be black first? It has been super cold (I think the lowest I saw was 15° not including wind chill) but I do have a heat lamp in the coop I have it more for trying to keep the water from freezing than for the warmth of the birds.
If this is frost bite what can I do to warm up the coop? Or is that the solution? I have two leghorns that also have tall combs but no frost bite the rest are pea combs no frost bite there either

It does look like minor frostbite. Yes, heating the coop will definitely help. Also, helping to improve ventilation in the coop will reduce the humidity and risk of frostbite. You can also coat their combs and wattles with petroleum jelly (Vasolene) so that the moisture can't get to their combs and wattles quite easily.

Thanks for the replies I always thought I had enough ventilation but I guess I could use more. We are building a new one as soon as weather permits. I've not handled this rooster before he's always been nice never fflogged and takes good care of the girls but I'm a bit nervous! ! Other roosters I've had have been mean lol they are no longer around lol

Back
Top Bottom