is this how all toms act with hens

jimmythechicken

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
mansfield
we have a 11 week old blue slate tom an just got him a new girl she was 5 months old.when we put her in the pen he started to fan for her then wrapped his neck around hers an was bitting the skin on her neck.looked very aggresive an she did not seem to like it when she would try to leave he would jump on her back.does anyone else have there toms do this is he being mean or just excited to have his first girlfriend.

He's young to mate. So is she, probably. He is probably reacting to the changed circumstances by trying to convince her that he's the boss. If he's not careful she may show him otherwise. I think popular advice would be to leave them to sort it out unless blood is drawn.

i had this happen with my blue slates this year also. they were raised together from hatch. the male was real aggressive with the female and he did mate with her, she died shortly after.
i am lost!! This was a few weeks back, and they hatched on june 1 this year.

The neck wrapping is his way of showing dominance, not a mating tactic. When my males get in to a match, they fight by wrapping necking, pulling snoods and biting at each others head.

I'm still learning. Although I knew from the start that the ratio of stags to hens is important I'm only now seeing to what extent. We acquired five poults at four weeks old in March and a mature pair then two mature hens later. The mature hens were already egg laden and gave us more poults.

The first five tuned out to include three stags and we don't have enough mature hens for them. Consequently, they are frequently battling for supremacy. They have deposed the old man and, as they still grow, won't concede to each other. When one tries to mate, the others push him away. Once the rains have stopped and we can get back to building I will add a sin bin pen so that fighters can be separated if it gets too serious. I might also start to separate them into mating groups for future breeding but the preference at the moment is to let them range where they want.

Jrsqic, why did your hen die?

thanks everyone for the help we just have the 2 turkeys we never saw him act like that she seemed to sumit to him did not fight back much we just let them do it why we watched to make sure it did not get out of hand.he was such a sweet turkey he is my daughters baby follows her around we were shocked to see him be aggasive reminded us he is still a tom turkey not a sweet little baby anymore.lol

Quote:
Give him five girlfriends and he'll settle down! Later you will get some more temporary sweet things.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have no clue. the larger male mated with her and she couldnt take it, i think they were to young.
after he mated, he kept pushing her down and stepping on her. I took her to a new pen she wouldnt move, after an hour or so she expelled some nasty yellow and white stuff then died.
Im still lost as to why and what did it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom