After losing two of my three beautiful hens to a dog attack, I made the difficult decision to get two chicks with the intention of eventually integrating them with the lone hen. After a month of exposing the hen to the babies and squawking loudly at her every time she got that "about-to-peck-you-on-the-fuzzy-head" look in her eyes, I placed the babies (4 weeks old) in a predator proof dog crate next to the lone hen's coop. Within a short period of time after that, she seemed to tolerate them pretty well during free grazing, only giving very occasional warning pecks (nearby- no contact) when they did something she didn't like. A few days ago the babies wandered into her coop while she was out and spent much of the day enjoying the place- like Hansel and Gretel having stumbled upon the gingerbread house. When the "witch" returned, they did okay. Again, not much aggression at all- only warning pecks. I decided to let them sleep there. My hope was that the hen would let them share her perch, but she did not. I placed a perch nearby but they seem too worried to use that. I don't blame them because the hen stares at them which apparently means, "Don't even THINK about it." So instead of sleeping on a satisfying perch, they sleep huddled in a little corner, not with the adult. Each day they seem a tiny bit more comfortable, but I'm wondering if this is okay. Would they be better off returned to their dog crate where they will perch and feel safe or is it better for them to sleep in the corner for now with the hope that eventually the hen will let the join her? I should make clear that the coop is not large enough to partition a separate area for them. They are either in the coop with the hen or in a different abode. What I'm wondering is, is this going well with a good prognosis for eventual full integration or would it be better for me to return the babies to the dog crate and wait until they are large enough to insist on a perching place? In other words, is it better to integrate as soon as you can with the babies not getting to perch or is it better to let the babies get a tad bigger in a separate crate, waiting until they are big enough to insist on a perching place? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!