Is this Mareks?

Aschuchert

Songster
9 Years
Nov 3, 2014
Tempe
We have a 17 week old pullet (americana) that hops rather than runs, looks a bit deformed in wing and body shape.
Otherwise she's fine, no respiratory or other symptoms.
No signs of bumblefoot or other infections.
No changes in eyes, no true paralyzed body parts... is mareks progressive or sudden?
Droppings look normal.
Her size for age is similar to others in the group we bought.
I cant find on paperwork from hatchery that we paid for any vaccines - not fond of that ... so now I worry about Mareks. She can fly, can run... well hop, and walks fairly normal.
She's isolated, the pic isn't great but does give you a sense that the left and right side of body and wing aren't "held" the same way.
We arent cruel, if she can live we'll let her but will cull if mareks.
Any help with diagnosis or suggestions to rule out other ailments?
Can send more pics if specific in request.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210106_175154.jpg
    20210106_175154.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 10
It may take some time to observe her and find out if she just has some bone deformities or if she could have Mareks. Have you noticed any crookedness to her body, back, or tail? There are some spinal deformities called spondylopathy or kinky back/roach back which can cause a deformity in the spine. It can affect walking and can cause lameness in later stages. If you should lose her at some point, mist state vets can perform a necropsy to get a diagnosis. There is a pcr Mareks test available during a necropsy, or it can be done with a blood test through RAL lab. Here are some articles to read about Mareks:
http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/Documents/vdl-mareks-disease-fact-sheet.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Some conditions/diseases that can cause the symptoms you’ve mentioned can be caused by numerous things from deformities, vitamin deficiencies, toxicities or even diseases. Does she have any leg, hip or toe deformities? Most common cause of loss of using the legs/weak legs/funny walking can be from a low vitamin B-12 deficiency. Botulism is a common toxin that can also cause similar symptoms, but they are normally severe and sudden, so I don’t believe it’s Botulism. The start of Marek’s Disease and Avian Leukosis can cause this as well. I’d treat by giving vitamin B-12 in the water. It can take weeks or even a month before she’ll be normally walking again if this is the cause. Good luck! I hope this helps :)

Thank you yes this is some good reading!
All conditions could hold some water. I'll get researching.

No huge signs of foot or leg deformity

Will also try B12.

No others show signs of similar conditions in a purchase of 25, so hoping I caught it early and can figure out what it is.
She's fiesty and not at all happy about iso

Back
Top Bottom