Is this normal behavior?

Kattherat

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
My chicks (6 silkies and 1 buff brahma bantam) are now almost 13 weeks old. This morning one of the silkies has started "bullying" two of the other ones. She/he is jumping on them biting their feathers and wings and basically scaring them to death. I know that silkies are really hard to sex, so my newbie question is this:Is this the beginning of rooster behavior although no crowing or wattles yet, or it is hens working out the hierarchy? They have been together since they were a day old with no fuss until this morning. My daughter is so upset, and we don't want them to get hurt. Also, why do you think she/he is only picking on two and leaving the others alone?

Thanks for any advice!

It's perfectly normal behavior. Chickens can be brutal to each other when they are squabbling for dominance. Keep an eye on them to make sure it doesn't get out of hand, but otherwise try to stay uninvolved. The quicker they work it out the better off all will be.

I am going through the same thing with my 9-week-olds. My daughter gets really upset when her favorite EE becomes the target, but I keep telling her that she needs to let them work it out for themselves. Unfortunately, I have an unexpected young cockerel in the bunch who is very rough and nasty. I had to cull a little girl after he broke her neck over the weekend. I am contemplating culling him before he can do any more damage.

Good luck with yours, and wish me luck with mine.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom