Is this normal chick poop?

jedool

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hello! I have been noticing some runny poop in my 11-13 week old pullets and wanted opinions on if I should be concerned. They are all acting normal and eating/drinking, but if their poop does in fact look concerning I want to be sure to catch it early. I am a bit paranoid as I have had coccidiosis travel through a batch of pullets I had a couple of years ago, and I had a lot of casualties (even when I was treating them properly). I will attach a picture below. Another concern is that my 13 week old lavender Orpington is having very small droppings. Seems healthy otherwise, but is this normal/ok? I will also attach a picture of hers. Any opinions would be helpful, thank you!!
Oh and to add, some droppings that I have seen look normal, but I still see a lot of runny ones.

Attachments

• 3B2BBAC3-0122-4EE0-99A0-2F184735716E.jpeg
    3B2BBAC3-0122-4EE0-99A0-2F184735716E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • B47B612D-5EAF-4C4C-8A4A-39DBDE22FDEA.jpeg
    B47B612D-5EAF-4C4C-8A4A-39DBDE22FDEA.jpeg
    923.9 KB · Views: 13
This
Those look like normal cecal droppings to me. Those happen about every 10 droppings. Color and consistency can vary depending on diet, but in general they are creamier, stickier, and usually stinkier. If everyone is acting normally, then I suspect that is all it is, and normal.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
Those look like normal cecal droppings to me. Those happen about every 10 droppings. Color and consistency can vary depending on diet, but in general they are creamier, stickier, and usually stinkier. If everyone is acting normally, then I suspect that is all it is, and normal.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
Thank you! I’m so terrified of coccidiosis! I have had what seems to be a lot of watery droppings, but since I have 16 pullets I’m hoping that’s more normal!

If it's hot where you are the watery droppings could be from drinking lots of water trying to stay cool.
Common symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, sitting fluffed up, not eating or drinking, runny, mucousy or bloody droppings. Only one or two kinds of coccidia cause blood, so many cases you do not see blood. But abnormal droppings in young birds that are acting unwell, is the biggest clue. If they are all acting fine, then that's likely not it. I always keep Corid on hand, just in case, so if needed you can start treatment right away.
Droppings are only one indicator, how the birds are acting is also very important. Lots of things can affect droppings. It's good to pay attention to changes, so if something does look off you can investigate early.

Back
Top Bottom