Is this normal donkey behavior?

Donkeys, IMHO, are good for only one thing........guarding. They generally do not make good pets, and if you think you can discipline them and make them change behavior,
well, you won't.
tongue.png

They will attack anything, and especially if it has limited space, which could create more frustration for the donkey. Our donkey attacked my son unexpectedly one day, took a sound beating, and kept coming right back for more.
Again, they make wonderful 'guards' if you have nuisance predators roaming around, but.......the goats are pretty much the victims of a stubborn bully!
roll.png
Good luck finding a solution......we found a good home for our donkey. Had to give him away after having him gelded......but it was worth the relief....lol!

texas reb, I am sorry if that mad you upset. I care about my goats very much was extremely mad that he was trying to kill them.

Quote:
I have to disagree. You must not have had a good experience or perhaps misunderstood your donkey and his needs. Talk to donkey people, especially those with mini's, they are excellent with kids. Most people will let their kids in with their donkeys and not worry before letting them in with horses. My donkeys are awesome with my kids. The one in particular will not move his feet if my little ones are anywhere near him. He stands perfectly still until they move away, then he follows after them. He will lower his big head for hugs and follow them like a puppy!

Donkeys are definitely not horses and are very smart but cautious. This is why most are misunderstood. They won't just do what you tell them, they need to know why and they must also think it is a good idea or it is not going to happen.

I have always kept donkeys and mules for over 30 yrs. and love them very much. I have a 3 yr. old mini jack that sounds much like yours. When we got him he tried to kill everything on the farm and refused to let us pet him. He had been kept in a stall most of his life and was just a very unhappy little donk. That was 3 months ago......NOW...he gets along with everyone and even lets the chickens share his food. I have a pic of him standing in the rain and the chickens are under him, using him for their shelter. He now trust me so much that I can lay down with him and rest my head on him, and he's not gilded! All he really needed was lots of love and attention from us. With a little company from other donkeys too. I personally think donkeys get a bad rep that they don't deserve. I find them to be one of the sweetest and most loving of all animals!! Don't give up on him just yet.........

Kelly

I hope you can work it out so that all of your animals (donkey included) are safe and well-cared for.

I also have miniature donkeys and have found them to be wonderful animals. My kids love them to pieces and even ride them. I currently have our jennet and gelding in with my draft and llama and they are a very happy little group. Maybe he will be happier in with the horses and having some space. My understanding is that they don't take being stalled very well. We only have run ins here and they are out all year round. I hope he settles down for you. I have heard many times that they are not the right guard for goats but great for larger livestock. Our gelding chased off a cougar and a bear and he was a mini. Love my mini donks.

Donkeys will kill many animals even their own size. It is just their nature. I see it as a blessing if they are housed properly because they can protect your farm provided you separate them from the animals they are protecting.

Back
Top Bottom