Is this normal for a broody Muscovy

MikaylaLeslie

Chirping
May 27, 2020
My Muscovy duck is sitting on a clutch of about 14 eggs. It’s day 36 there about. Most have pipped externally. Last night we could hear a little duckling chirping but today no sound. This evening she’s been off the nest at least 3 times. I’ve been able to candle the eggs and at least the ones I checked are definitely moving. But she keeps moving the eggs around a little. Is all this normal? I thought I read that once the mom hears them chirping then she sits very still. I know Muscovy’s are supposed to be excellent mothers but this is her first time. It’s also my first time caring for a broody mom! I’m probably going to set up an incubator as a standby just in case she decides she’s done sitting. Any tips would be appreciated!

Sounds like you're both doing everything right.
Mama is most likely moving them just so they'll all stay warm and at the same temperature.

They'll probably hatch soon. Typically Muscovies hatch after 35 days.
Good luck!

Thank you much!
Mama is most likely moving them just so they'll all stay warm and at the same temperature.

Good luck!

Good luck!
Update! All but 1 have hatched so far! The last egg has pipped externally and is working on coming out. They’ve been hatching since this morning. Do you have suggestions on how to give them all access to food and water that’s safe for everyone? They’re in a coop by themselves. They’re in a nest up top. Susies food and water is down the ramp in the run. I had a bucket of water for Susie and then little ramekins set up with food and water for the ducklings. Once they’re ready to eat our fear is that they’ll either fall of the ramp or get down there and not be able to get back up. Which is fine if they stay down there unless Susie tries to get them to go back up. We’re in California so we don’t have extreme temps but it’s on the colder side tonight. Currently 48 degrees with a low of 36. Will she be able to keep them warm enough?

Back
Top Bottom