Is this normal for a fan forced bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by guinea fowl galore, Jan 9, 2012.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    First off, let me say that i'm used to still air incubators. [​IMG]

I've got my new Hova-bator running, getting ready to test out. I have a very accurate thermometer in there. The thermometer is reading 39-40 degrees Celsius (102-104) but when I open the lid and quickly put my hand in the air feels cold. Is that just what happens with fans? [​IMG]
    Also, I have turned it down as low as it can go and it is still up at 39 (102<). What am I supposed to do about that?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Yes the fan does feel a bit cool I've noticed that. I'd double check with a second thermometer as even with one you trust it could still be off slightly. Have you taken all the plugs out? maybe that would help [​IMG]

3. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I have a 12vdc computer fan running in my coolerbator with a 9v adapter and when it's running you can hardly feel any air flow from it. When I open my cooler I can feel heat coming out, and everything is warm to the touch.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You mention you have an "accurate" thermometer. Have you calibrated it to be sure?

You can look on this link for how to reset the thermometer. I'd guess you already have this information. I have had pretty good luck e-mailing the sales staff at GQF and asking them questions. I think that is under the contact button.

https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/instructionshovabator.asp

5. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    is it a 1588?if so reset it and you should be good to go

/

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by