Is this normal for a mother hen?

Ciqala

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
New Hampshire
Whiskers is an Old English Game hen, hatched two chicks last Saturday. They're in a large cage in the house. Starting today she has gotten over the top aggressive when you try to feed or do their water. I mean it's ridiculous how much. She keeps kicking bedding into the water, so I'm concerned about them having water and my kids are scared to clean it out while I'm at work. I can't raise the waterer, it's a quart one, 'cuz the two chicks would never be able to reach it. Even putting it on a brick it's too high for them. Will this mellow out? Or should I consider separating them? I really don't want to separate them.

I tried that, covered it w/bedding so they could walk up to the water and she still got it filled with wood chips.

Whiskers is an Old English Game hen, hatched two chicks last Saturday. They're in a large cage in the house. Starting today she has gotten over the top aggressive when you try to feed or do their water. I mean it's ridiculous how much. She keeps kicking bedding into the water, so I'm concerned about them having water and my kids are scared to clean it out while I'm at work. I can't raise the waterer, it's a quart one, 'cuz the two chicks would never be able to reach it. Even putting it on a brick it's too high for them. Will this mellow out? Or should I consider separating them? I really don't want to separate them.

Some breeds can get aggressive when they have a new brood, even some of the more docile breeds. Right now, the new mothers in my Blue Americana coop are fighting over who gets to mother various broods.

Best way is to just remove all bedding from around the waterer. Maybe make a base using bricks and then fill it with sand. My coop floor is sand and I never have problems with it getting dirty - unless it is next to some hay.

I've got two mothers with 3 chicks between them. Two are 3 weeks old and one is 10 days. The two mothers - previously inseparable buddies - are really aggressive towards each other. I have them separated so far but my logistics are being stretched as the younger baby starts to need to roam more. How long before this settles down?

My broody hen coop for hens and chicks also only has sand in it. Way easier to keep water drinkable and food findable. For the first week I keep them on plywood planks. after that sand.

I've got two mothers with 3 chicks between them. Two are 3 weeks old and one is 10 days. The two mothers - previously inseparable buddies - are really aggressive towards each other. I have them separated so far but my logistics are being stretched as the younger baby starts to need to roam more. How long before this settles down?

I've got basically the same thing. They eventually settled down and are now raising the chicks together. It's really precious to watch.

Back
Top Bottom