Is this normal for a new layer?

Chickendaddy33

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
So I’m a chicken newbie and I’ve had a few issues with my flock so I’m paranoid, I have one hen laying right now she’s been laying 2 weeks?? I was in the coop checking on the ladies before bed and Red was standing kind of still I asked her if she was ok and she turned around and laid an egg except I watched the whole thing and she spit out a soft egg but with no top so I literally watched the yolk and egg pour on the ground followed by 1/2 soft shell I panicked and grabbed it real quick scared the others would eat it and become egg eaters before I started getting real eggs so I didn’t get a picture right away but I got one after I removed it! It’s late and it’s almost the ladies bed time is it possible she just spit it out 1/2 developed? She has been laying 2 days then off a day, today should have been her off day! Also should I be concerned about an infection?
1CCE7A72-7679-41BB-AEC9-7F34FC2EE13B.jpeg
372BD387-7D13-47D4-882C-4DE6CEFB968C.jpeg

It takes a while for new layers to get used to their new super powers. New things are happening in their bodies and I'm sure new feelings are being felt while this happens. Does she have access to oyster shell and/or crushed egg shell? I'd give her some extra calcium, but I am a worry wort. How is she acting? Is the shell soft and it broke as it was being expelled?

You can make her a boiled egg and mash it up, including the shell or some oyster shell. Or you can give her a Calcium Citrate + Vitamin D3 (human form Citracal Plus D3). I prefer the tablet personally, just to give her a quick boost of calcium. We don't want an egg to break inside of her. Not everyone would treat the same way, especially with her being such a new layer. This is what I would do. Do you see any egg contents on her vent? How is she acting? Do you feel like she expelled all of the egg and it's contents?

It takes a while for new layers to get used to their new super powers. New things are happening in their bodies and I'm sure new feelings are being felt while this happens. Does she have access to oyster shell and/or crushed egg shell? I'd give her some extra calcium, but I am a worry wort. How is she acting? Is the shell soft and it broke as it was being expelled?
Yes oyster shells and I feed back their egg shells although not often for the eggs cause they are small so you need 4 for breakfast! I have a probiotic, vitamin and calcium supplement that is added to their water every so often. She’s a tough one but she seemed a bit upset when it happened, also it was by the waterer not in the nesting box which she always uses. She’s a bit slower but it happened literally 1/2 hour before they put themselves to bed so…. I’ve been giving everyone extra vitamins because I’ve had a sickness go through my flock and I’m just trying to keep everyone healthy until I get the report back which should have been today!

You can make her a boiled egg and mash it up, including the shell or some oyster shell. Or you can give her a Calcium Citrate + Vitamin D3 (human form Citracal Plus D3). I prefer the tablet personally, just to give her a quick boost of calcium. We don't want an egg to break inside of her. Not everyone would treat the same way, especially with her being such a new layer. This is what I would do. Do you see any egg contents on her vent? How is she acting? Do you feel like she expelled all of the egg and it's contents?
The strange thing is that the egg expelled doesn’t look broke or jagged literally like it was missing the top half. I did watch the yolk and most of the white I’m pretty sure come out! I did check her vent right away it looked clean she panted a little afterward but was walking around fine and ate a little although not much but she has been drinking a lot the past couple of days, which I might be hyper focused on because I’m scared of organ issues but that’s a whole other issue. But it happened at 9:00pm and they put themselves to bed at 9:30 so there wasn’t much time before they all laid down to watch her.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the egg. So it had a membrane but the shell was missing in a round area at the top of the egg? If this is what you're talking about, one of my pullets laid eggs like this whenever she started laying. I would give her a Calcium Citrate anytime I noticed this. Their shell gland isn't used to its job. Sometimes the pullet I'm speaking of would lay two eggs in one night. One missing the top round place and another one with the same top round area being more thin but shelled. I thought this bird had a shell gland issue but she finally started laying normal eggs with a full shell. I suspect the shell gland is having a glitchy start. I'm not sure if the Calcium Citrate helped or if it was just some time and her body adjusting to everything new and working together properly.

Back
Top Bottom