Is this normal for a Welsummer?

PennyM

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 17, 2017
Greenville, SC
I have 5 chickens, a Welsummer, 2 EEs, a Speckled Sussex and a SLW. I know that because of the length of the sunlight they are laying less but we still have been getting one to three eggs every day. These are from the EES, Sussex and the SLW. My Welsummer hasn't laid an egg in about three weeks or so! They are still young, about 8 1/2 months old. Do Welsummers just not lay that often? I know that during the summer we didn't get an egg from her as often as we did the others. One of the EEs was pecking at her comb a week ago (she has a floppy comb) but I put Blue Kote on it and they have since left it alone. She is acting normal, eating and pooping fine.

@PennyM your experience with a Wellie is almost identical to mine. I miss those dark speckly eggs but they should start showing back up again with longer day light hours. I know they aren't the most productive layers, but my girl is the most 'people friendly' bird I have so I enjoy her (eggs or no eggs).

I have some Wellies that are 8 1/2 months old and I'm still not getting any eggs. However, I did not get them for egg color or egg production. I got them because they are even-tempered, sweet birds and excellent foragers. And they live up to that reputation wonderfully. They are curious, friendly, talkative birds and lovely to look at. I find them very easy to deal with and they're not overly-friendly or pushy. I enjoy my two so much I got 4 more about 2 1/2 weeks ago, still in quarantine for now.

Back
Top Bottom