Is this normal Hen behavior?

Khelms829

Chirping
Aug 27, 2021
I’ve got a hen that is a about 18 months old and in with her normal flock, including her rooster, and for the last 2 days I’ve not saw her out of this box. We collect the eggs every day mostly but never go more than 2 days without collecting them. There are several other hens in the flock. The other hens started laying their eggs in another box. She’s never tried to sit on eggs that I’ve seen. Is she going broody or could their be a problem?? (By the way yes I’m aware of her missing feathers, we had to separate her from another rooster about 4 weeks ago because he was picking her feathers, they are slowly but surely growing back)

Attachments

• 933E3F93-BE8F-4F10-8E52-13FC7C7A9025.jpeg
    933E3F93-BE8F-4F10-8E52-13FC7C7A9025.jpeg
    648.3 KB · Views: 18
I’ve got a hen that is a about 18 months old and in with her normal flock, including her rooster, and for the last 2 days I’ve not saw her out of this box. We collect the eggs every day mostly but never go more than 2 days without collecting them. There are several other hens in the flock. The other hens started laying their eggs in another box. She’s never tried to sit on eggs that I’ve seen. Is she going broody or could their be a problem?? (By the way yes I’m aware of her missing feathers, we had to separate her from another rooster about 4 weeks ago because he was picking her feathers, they are slowly but surely growing back)
Broody

I’m no expert, but if she fluffs up when you go near her, and maybe yells, that sounds broody to me. If she’s eating, drinking, and taking normal poops, again, probably broody and nothing to worry about. But, if not, she might be ill. Check her poop and post pics or contact your chicken vet if the poop seems abnormal or her appetite is decreased.

She has a chance of being egg bound. She might walk like a penguin. Again, if it’s not broody try to contact a vet.

She has a chance of being egg bound. She might walk like a penguin. Again, if it’s not broody try to contact a vet.
Do I take her out of the box to see how she walks? She does chicken “growl” a little (for lack of a better term) when I go near her. I’ve not saw her out of the box but I did put some feed in the box next to her and she ate it!!

Do I take her out of the box to see how she walks? She does chicken “growl” a little (for lack of a better term) when I go near her. I’ve not saw her out of the box but I did put some feed in the box next to her and she ate it!!
That growl means she's broody. She'll get out of the nest maybe a couple times a day to eat, drink and poop... and the poop will be way bigger than normal.

If other hens have access to the nest box she's in, they'll commonly lay eggs in there with her, which will really mess up the "days till hatch" countdown if you're letting her set. Another problem is broody hens often choose a different nest to set on if they come back from food/water/poop and there's another hen sitting (to lay) on "her" clutch.

She seems like she definitely broody, and I saw in one of your replies that she does a chicken “growl” when your near her which is exactly what broody hens will do, sometimes they will try to peck you aswell. As long as she’s eating and staying hydrated she just fine!

Back
Top Bottom