Is this normal mama hen behavior?

KYchickentender

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2020
Frankfort, KY
I have chicks that were hatched out under a mama hen 5 weeks ago. Mama is a 1 year old Wheaten Maran. She was a really good mama up until yesterday when I noticed that she has started chasing the chicks and pecking at them. There are 4 of them and she chases all of them. She has started laying eggs again this week so I guess she’s just tired of being a mom and wants to get back to normal? Will the chicks be ok with her in the coop? I don’t think she’s really trying to hurt them. I just think she’s tired of them trying to get under her all the time.

If I was you, I would take them out and put them into a brooder box, because if you think about it, when you incubate eggs, you take them out and put them into a brooder box after 48 hours, these are at least getting more time with the mother hen!

This is 100% completely normal behavior for a broody hen who is finished raising her chicks and is weaning them. She thinks they've learned everything she has to teach them and they do not physically need her for heat anymore so they're on their own. She's driving them off.

Yes, weaning...no need to put them into a brooder.

Everybody gushes about how sweet a broody and chicks are,
this is one of the less attractive parts of that scenario.
A lot of parents with kids still in the house that are way past due to move on and make their own way could learn a lot from a good broody hen.

If I was you, I would take them out and put them into a brooder box, because if you think about it, when you incubate eggs, you take them out and put them into a brooder box after 48 hours, these are at least getting more time with the mother hen!

5 week old chicks are ready to be part of the flock without special care.

A lot of parents with kids still in the house that are way past due to move on and make their own way could learn a lot from a good broody hen.

Indeed!

Back
Top Bottom