Is this normal or is it dead????Need help with what I should do!

honeydoll

Songster
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Stark County, NE Ohio
We just started having chicks pip and zip today. One of ours has gone all the way around the shell, at least it looks like it, and was chirping and working away. Once it went all the way around, it stopped, and for about an hour there has been no movement. Nothing at all, I see no movement in the shell like before and hear no chirping, at least I don't think so. I hear chirping but not sure if it is from another one hatching or not. My question is, is it normal after they "zip" the whole way around to rest before they push out or is it dead. Should I remove it, and compromise lock down or wait longer? How long should I wait? Should I take it out if there is no movement as it will start to decay. Not sure what I should do....ugh, please help.

Tap the top of the incubator. Sometimes the noise will startle the chick enough to make it move in the shell. If it has zipped that much, you can probably take it out long enough to flip the top off the egg to investigate.

Alright, I'll go check the little guy/girl. Hope it's ok.
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

sad.png
He was dead. I think my hygrometer stopped working right. His/her shell was dry and stuck to him/her. It looked perfect too, and it was from a blue egg layer.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
I see movement from another blue one and I added a water bowl. I am crushed and disappointed. Not sure why he dried out, my hygrometer read 45%. It has a new battery too.
he.gif
he.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
THanks. Well that's how hatching goes, you win wome and you lose some. The first birds I hatched out I didn't do anything with them, I set them and went on about my business. I had a great hatch, and did everything wrong. With this one I have been extra careful and made sure humidity was right, and then this, a sudden drop in humidity or a malfunctioning hygrometer. Sigh....well, hopefully I saved the others hatching. Maybe they won't dry out.

Quote:
THanks. Well that's how hatching goes, you win wome and you lose some. The first birds I hatched out I didn't do anything with them, I set them and went on about my business. I had a great hatch, and did everything wrong. With this one I have been extra careful and made sure humidity was right, and then this, a sudden drop in humidity or a malfunctioning hygrometer. Sigh....well, hopefully I saved the others hatching. Maybe they won't dry out.

My brinsea incubation handbook says that you want the humidity at least 60% when hatching. It is free- downloadable on the www.brinsea.com website.

Is there another water pot you can fill to raise the humidity more for hatch?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom