is this normal or weird?

buddymc

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
I've had my first set of girls going on week three. First time chicken owner so I'm learning all their crazy behaviors! Today they started doing something odd. I pulled up a clump of grass for them to snack on. The went crazy and seems to be loving it.

I went to check on them and they are all laying near the grass, burrowing down into the pine shavings and rolling around, rubbing in the pine shavings, etc. Sort of how a dog will roll around in something the smell.

Do they think they are taking a "dust bath" because some dirt was on the roots of the clump of grass? Is this normal? At first it freaked me out.

Phew... I thought it might be them taking a dust bathe, but I was a little freaked out since I'm still learning!

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Yep! Normal, I raised mine in the coop on the ground with the deep litter method and by two weeks they were doing the dust bath yoga (thats what I call it 'cause, HOW in the world do they do that position!) They first look like they are digging to china, then the yoga starts.
wink.png
. Just wait till you see all of them laying on their side streched out sunning! They really are NOT dead!

Last edited:
Yep, dust bath. Thought mine were spasing out on me first time saw it. I was new and they chicks aren't real coordinated to begin with..so apparently it's not only normal for them, it's normal for new owners to be like
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom