1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this normal or weird?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buddymc, Apr 5, 2011.

1. buddymc

buddymc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    I've had my first set of girls going on week three. First time chicken owner so I'm learning all their crazy behaviors! Today they started doing something odd. I pulled up a clump of grass for them to snack on. The went crazy and seems to be loving it.

I went to check on them and they are all laying near the grass, burrowing down into the pine shavings and rolling around, rubbing in the pine shavings, etc. Sort of how a dog will roll around in something the smell.

Do they think they are taking a "dust bath" because some dirt was on the roots of the clump of grass? Is this normal? At first it freaked me out.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Sounds like normal (crazy) chickens. lol

3. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Perfectly normal. They're just trying to dust bathe.

4. buddymc

buddymc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Phew... I thought it might be them taking a dust bathe, but I was a little freaked out since I'm still learning!

Thanks![​IMG]

5. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Yep! Normal, I raised mine in the coop on the ground with the deep litter method and by two weeks they were doing the dust bath yoga (thats what I call it 'cause, HOW in the world do they do that position!) They first look like they are digging to china, then the yoga starts. [​IMG]. Just wait till you see all of them laying on their side streched out sunning! They really are NOT dead!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  6. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, dust bath. Thought mine were spasing out on me first time saw it. I was new and they chicks aren't real coordinated to begin with..so apparently it's not only normal for them, it's normal for new owners to be like [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by