Is this normal?!? Please help!

chicken kitten

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2016
I'm new to laying. My Orpington just started laying. We got two good eggs, then yesterday we got two additional shell less eggs, which could've been from other hens. Today I'm watching her and it's like she's trying but nothing's happening. She's eating and drinking, keeps going into her box and clearly pushing, then getting out and yelling. Her wings are down and feathers fluffed, open mouth breathing. This has been going on for about an hour. Is she egg bound? Am I just paranoid and love my chickens too much? It's like chicken labor and I am the nervous mom...

She could be eggbound as the symptoms you describe fit.
Have you massaged her to feel for the egg?
Since she is young, she may lack lubrication that is needed to pass the egg.
Try a warm bath to loosen things up and lubricate her vent with coconut oil.
Make it as easy as possible for her to pass the egg because prolapsed vent is a huge concern.

Some young hens take a while to lay an egg. She might think it's coming but it isn't. They haven't gotten used to the sensation. I have never had an egg bound hen in my 20 years of chicken keeping. I think it's less common than though, but many folks go looking for an egg that is there but not ready to come out. I would leave her be. I have hens that go in and out of the nestboxes, it pretty common.

So "false labor"! I'm going to keep an eye on her and hopefully that's it! Thank you!!!
Something like that. I watch hens that sit in the box for hours before laying, others go in and out repeatedly for hours, and other go in and lay and leave without a peep. They all develop their own weird routines. I suppose I would too if I had to lay an egg every day or every few days, I can't imagine it's comfortable. I think that's why they cackle so much after laying, they are so relieved it's done.

Exactly! I've developed a whole new appreciation for egg laying!! She still hasn't payed today, but she is back to acting normal so I feel better!

Back
Top Bottom