Is this normal rooster behavior?

I have 8 year malltipoo female doggie she is the sweetest dog ever ... She grew up with my son so you know she has a high tolerance for kids... But the other day we had company and a 4 year old wanted to carry her and she would just run away from him and he kept trying... So she turned around and snapped at him ... That. Little boy left her alone after that.... Is that normal behavior ???? Should I put her in the freezer ??? No she is a family pet and I know that if that little boy would of gave her her space that wouldn't had happen....it's begining to sound like the butcher forum for rooster...
No, you shouldn't put your dog in the freezer for snapping at a child who was chasing her and crowding her. You might want to reconsider, though, when she comes flying out of the blue while she's free ranging and attacks your child. Especially when she's at or close to eye level to the child in the first place, putting her in a position so cause serious facial injuries. We did put down a dog that would go after small children without provocation, by the way. (We didn't have kids of our own, but nieces and nephews that would visit) Then we got a nice dog. I'd do the same with a rooster - put an aggressive one who attacks people out of the blue in the freezer and get a different one. Oh, wait... I've already done that, too. More than once.

People putting roosters over children's safety? And think roosters can be trained? They're chalk full of testosterone for crying out loud. Not surprised how much people believe what they tell themselves sometimes...

Rooster went after me last night when I turned to walk away after bringing water to the girls.

Rooster is now in my freezer. I will NOT tolerate that behavior, especially when chickens are supposed to be a fun, relaxing hobby. Not something I have to worry over with my son, or tiptoe around my own property.

Rooster went after me last night when I turned to walk away after bringing water to the girls.

Rooster is now in my freezer. I will NOT tolerate that behavior, especially when chickens are supposed to be a fun, relaxing hobby. Not something I have to worry over with my son, or tiptoe around my own property.
I bet he will taste great too.

I don't know what thread people are reading, but on the one I'm reading nobody EVER mentions putting a rooster over a child's safety. As a matter of fact, I don't think that the initial question nor the initial answer(s) even mention dogs or children at all! And at what point did the mere suggestion that you could train a rooster turn into a debate over ethics? If people believe that the sentiment of this thread is to put one's animals over their children, then the world's a lot scarier place than I once thought !!!

I don't know what thread people are reading, but on the one I'm reading nobody EVER mentions putting a rooster over a child's safety. As a matter of fact, I don't think that the initial question nor the initial answer(s) even mention dogs or children at all! And at what point did the mere suggestion that you could train a rooster turn into a debate over ethics? If people believe that the sentiment of this thread is to put one's animals over their children, then the world's a lot scarier place than I once thought !!!
Sadly, there are people who will do that. It wasn't specifically mentioned on this thread, but I can see where it could be interpreted that way. In the end, a person has to do what they feel is right for their family first, and their flock second. There are people who have the time, patience and talent to work with a rooster so it quits attacking them. Good for them. (I still wouldn't trust a "trained" rooster around small children, but that's my opinion) There are people who are not in a situation where that is practical. For me, I have chickens for the enjoyment of it, and eggs and meat. If I have a rooster that takes that joy away, he moves on from something I enjoy to something I'll eat. My chickens are not pets. They are not "hand raised". They are, to put it bluntly, expendable. If we eat one rooster, there is another one to take his place. That is my situation. Yours is different than mine, the OP's is different than both of ours. To each his own.

...well said bobbi-j !!!
yesss.gif

Now maybe we all can finally put this old mule to bed! (and no, I don't have anything against mules, old or otherwise
he.gif
...lol !!!

Sadly, there are people who will do that. It wasn't specifically mentioned on this thread, but I can see where it could be interpreted that way. In the end, a person has to do what they feel is right for their family first, and their flock second. There are people who have the time, patience and talent to work with a rooster so it quits attacking them. Good for them.  (I still wouldn't trust a "trained" rooster around small children, but that's my opinion) There are people who are not in a situation where that is practical. For me, I have chickens for the enjoyment of it, and eggs and meat. If I have a rooster that takes that joy away, he moves on from something I enjoy to something I'll eat. My chickens are not pets. They are not "hand raised". They are, to put it bluntly, expendable. If we eat one rooster, there is another one to take his place. That is my situation. Yours is different than mine, the OP's is different than both of ours. To each his own. 

Bobb-j,

Training can go more than one way with respect to impacts on rooster behavior and it takes time regardless of outcome. My position is the same amount of time required to mess a rooster up behavior-wise could be used not to do so by simply employing a little common sense in how you interact with your charges, I think you should see that some parties have chronic problems with roosters while others do not. Take that pattern as possible indication the keeper's husbandry technique also plays a role. When it comes to the time expenditure for keeping birds out of trouble, I have a lot of birds and none with behavioral issues. Generally my time invested per bird is very low relative to most people with aggression problems, although with some the of my birds living in close proximity to the house the reverse is true with respect to time invested. This is especially true with birds monitored intensively for behavior and that have home ranges that completely encompass my family's play area. I can also freely exchange roosters between cockyard and yard around house without concern of bringing in a bad boy to the kids play area. The difference in husbandry between those with and without problems is how the time is invested, not how much. Step back and consider how husbandry technique interacts with genetics when it comes to problematic roosters.

If you like, husbandry efforts can be considered more important for the prevention rather than correction of behavioral problems.

I am fairly new to chickens, got some last fall that are now about a year old, and have seven 19 week olds as well that I got this spring. One turned out to be a rooster, and for the time being I am letting him stay.

I have never been around roosters and don't know if this is normal or not. I can't say I like it, but not sure if it just comes with the territory of having a rooster.

Whenever I try to pet or pick up one of the girls, he comes rushing towards me. He stops and stares, but hasn't really tried much other than the sideways dance thing and stomping his feet at me. If they start getting a bit annoyed at being handled and bawk a few times, he puts up his neck feathers and challenges me. I had to grab him and carry him around for a few minutes tonight to try and take him down a notch, but I came out an hour later and he was back to striding up to me with chest out and did his sideways challenge move again. I have walked at him to get him to move out of my way, gently booted him when he got a bit too fresh with me, and held him to the ground for a minute, then pecked him with my fingers like a beak. Doesn't seem to deter him.

If I open the coop door, he is just about level with my face (I have a raised coop), and frankly that makes me a bit nervous!!

He is also 19 weeks old, so I imagine his attitude will only get more aggressive? Or is this just what roosters do? I can't say I enjoy having to walk on eggshells (no pun intended!!) around the girls without him running over to make sure I'm not touching any of them. Is this just something you have to learn to deal with when you own a rooster?

My roo is just like this when I first got him which is about 9 days ago. Since you've already culled him I suggest that if ever you have an experience like this again pet the rooster when it is nighttime and the lights are dim. Pick him up, gently touch the area around his ears and face (that is what chickens like) and comb. I've done this every night for five days and now my roo stopped being aggressive with me. And oh, don't starve him. Roosters really become aggressive when they're hungry. Hope this helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom