Is this normal when growing feathers??

lizakn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Carlingford, NB Canada
Ok...so I am a 1st time chick mom...and our chicks are 2 weeks old. They have started developing their feathers...but I noticed yesterday when cleaning their brooder that some have some parts on them that you can see their bare skin. They don't pick at each other...or at least I haven't noticed it.
Here is a couple photos....so is this normal when they are growing their feathers & losing their 'fuzz'????

Completely normal. They look really weird for a couple of weeks and then they are miniature chickens.

Usually they lose their fluff on their belly, under their wings and near their butt. Nothing to worry about!

I'm not sure on the actual breed because when I ordered them it only said "brown layers" on the sheet. But someone told me they know they are 1/2 Rhode Island Red & 1/2 another breed.

Perfectly normal.

Wait until you see a young cockerel feather in for the first time. They grow feathers in a very patchy manner. They look like moth-eaten mini dinosaurs. My newest EE cockerel looked like a one-foot-tall ostrich until recently- feathers on his body, fuzz on his neck, bald head, no tail at all. Seriously, the ugliest chick I have ever laid eyes on. He's getting prettier, though.

Good luck with them.

Back
Top Bottom