Is this normal??!!

mimipeaches

Songster
Jan 21, 2019
Rural IL
I have been trying to do research so that I wouldn't have to bother all of you but I can't find anything helpful or at all related to my search. When I went to check on my chickens I noticed that one of my hens was mating when before she wouldn't let any of my roosters near her, yet when I went to pet her she didn't squat is this normal or can hens mate before they are ready to?

Yes mating is normal. Pullets don't need to squat for you before they lay, most hens or pullets won't squat for a human if they have a rooster or cockerel available. But yeah, chickens mating is pretty normal.

Yes mating is normal. Pullets don't need to squat for you before they lay, most hens or pullets won't squat for a human if they have a rooster or cockerel available. But yeah, chickens mating is pretty normal.
So do hens always squat or is it just when there isn't a rooster around that they squat?

Every chicken is different. Some will squat when their humans go to pet them, some will not. Some will not tolerate being petted. Some will. Some will squat only for their roosters. Really, the best way to learn chicken behavior is to observe it. And because every chicken is different, it can take years to learn their different quirks. Then you get a new flock, and you're starting all over again. Your flock is different than mine, so what's "normal" for my flock will be different than what's normal for yours.

Every chicken is different. Some will squat when their humans go to pet them, some will not. Some will not tolerate being petted. Some will. Some will squat only for their roosters. Really, the best way to learn chicken behavior is to observe it. And because every chicken is different, it can take years to learn their different quirks. Then you get a new flock, and you're starting all over again. Your flock is different than mine, so what's "normal" for my flock will be different than what's normal for yours.
None of my other hens are mating yet they still run away so I don't know about them but I can't wait to figure out their quirks too! While this might not have been the exact answer I was hoping for this makes sense because chickens are like people each one is different! Thanks!

:welcome :frow Each bird may be different in ways. Some females will willingly let the males mount them and others won't. If they are all fairly young, the young males are probably practicing.

I think it is normal because in my flock the roosters just start mating pullets like they are hens! Not really common in my flock, but i've seen it a few times.
My roosters are 8 months old and fully grown while my pullets are still 6 months old I think that they start mating around then other than breeds like the Black Sumatra and Buff Orpington. Do you think that they will lay soon or not? I have heard it both ways so I wanted to know what you think. Thank you!!

Shouldn't be to far off. I had a pullet last year that was mating for a little over 2 weeks before she laid her first egg. So yeah, there is the rule of thumb to go by, then there are all the exceptions and differences. :barnieYou girl will start laying pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom