Is this normal?

CodyChick

In the Brooder
May 3, 2021
I am new to chickens and got a few chicks 3 weeks ago. Today while I was spending time with them I found 2 small feathers from one of my RIR chicks who is now 5 weeks old. Is this somewhat normal or should I be worried? She is eating and drinking the same as the other chicks and doesn't act any different from the others. I have actually posted about her before asking if she could be a frizzle since some of her feathers curl upwards, is this a sign that she has a problem of some sort? I can use all the help I can get, thank you.

Feathers curling upwards probably means frizzle, and frizzle either is or is not a problem, depending on who you ask. If you ask nature and people who like to respect it, frizzling is a problem because feathers weren’t meant to look like that. They lose the function intended for them by evolution and fail to protect the chicken from the elements. Which is a problem. However, a lot of people have decided that problems like that are cute and choose to propagate them for their entertainment. Like dogs with flat faces that can’t breathe right, or naked cats that would die out in the world without people putting sunscreen or sweaters on them. People are weird, selfish creatures that like to mess other creatures up just for fun.

Feathers curling upwards probably means frizzle, and frizzle either is or is not a problem, depending on who you ask. If you ask nature and people who like to respect it, frizzling is a problem because feathers weren’t meant to look like that. They lose the function intended for them by evolution and fail to protect the chicken from the elements. Which is a problem. However, a lot of people have decided that problems like that are cute and choose to propagate them for their entertainment. Like dogs with flat faces that can’t breathe right, or naked cats that would die out in the world without people putting sunscreen or sweaters on them. People are weird, selfish creatures that like to mess other creatures up just for fun.
Totally agree 👍.

I have been finding at least one feather everyday. Why are they falling out? Is this just normal for some chicks?

I've got a couple random feathers in my 7-8 week old chicks as well. I'm thinking this isn't an issue, but am curious about the responses you get.

I keep finding more and more feathers everyday, what is going on? I don't see any bald spots on her, but I don't think losing feathers is normal for chicks this age.

Back
Top Bottom