Is This Normal?

TammyRoesch

Songster
Jun 2, 2022
Kingsville, OH 44048
I'm a Greenie :). My 44 - 4.5 month old hens are just beginning to lay eggs. Some of them have speckles and other markings. Is this normal? I just want to make sure that it doesn't mean they are lacking anything in their diet. Thanks for your help in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8641.jpeg
    IMG_8641.jpeg
    728.2 KB · Views: 13
I'm a Greenie :). My 44 - 4.5 month old hens are just beginning to lay eggs. Some of them have speckles and other markings. Is this normal? I just want to make sure that it doesn't mean they are lacking anything in their diet. Thanks for your help in advance!
I think its normal except the 2 with white all over them
but i don't think that's a problem

What is a Greenie?

There is a lot of normal variation in egg coloring in a single chicken - all normal. I think most of us grew up on perfectly matched white eggs... not because they don't have variation in the big coops - but because they sort them to all look the same.

Mrs K
A "Greenie" means I am NEW and don't know anything :). Thanks for your post :)

These look like pretty normal eggs to me. Speckles aren't unusual; my girls occasionally produce excess white stuff on their shells. I've always thought it was just calcium deposits (no scientific basis for that belief). But, I wouldn't be concerned. There are some nice eggs in that carton!

I have another question for you all :). My girls are young, just 4.5 months. The eggs seem on the small side. As the girls get bigger, will the eggs get bigger or does that not change?
They normally start out smaller and get a little larger, depending on the breed you keep.
Very nice carton of eggs. 👌

Back
Top Bottom