Is this normal?

Frizzle or not, sometimes chicks can have wonky looking feathers when they start feathering out. As they get more, fill in the gaps, things start to look more normal. I wouldn't worry.
I don't have any frizzles, but I have a neighbor that does. Depending on where you live, they can have trouble staying warm in the winter sometimes, their feathers just don't insulate as well. She thought her frizzle roo was really sick this past winter and asked me to have a look, turned out he was just chilled, recovered fine once he got warmed up. And we are in North Florida, not nearly as cold or for as long as farther north. Just something to be aware of.
Thanks for the heads up! I live in Oklahoma so we can definitely have some nasty winter weather!

I think they were getting too hot! We are in Oklahoma so our nights are getting pretty chilly but our days are still hanging around in the 90's! We use a lamp (plan to upgrade to plate in the spring), and leave it pointed in one spot so they can get away from it, but the WHOLE room was getting pretty toasty. We started turning off the lamp during the day and it has seemed to help a lot! I also gave them some electrolytes in their water.
I think I'm going to switch all my birds to mash! I like the idea of being able to put all their supplements (oregano, cinnamon, AC vinegar, pepper flakes, garlic etc in the feed). They are picky about their water, and get upset if I add anything to it (Meds, vinegar, electrolytes) They have access to running water when they free range, so they ignore their water bowl if it's not pure water and avoid taking the meds. They are worse than my kids!
I like A&D ointment for any raw spots or boo boos, and it works wonders. I SWEAR by it for picked feathers! It seems to help them grow their feathers back faster! It's probably just me, but I swear it helps! Lol
We ended up losing 2 more of the partridge ones, so I'm down to 2 of them, but I think we are past the pasty butt now! 🤞
Thanks for the help!!!
I'm sorry that you lost a couple of more, how sad!

It's good that you are past the pasty butt, hopefully things will turn around for you.
It can be a pain to keep temps stable when they fluctuate like that, but sounds like you have that figured out too.
Each batch of chicks that you raise can be different, no matter how many times you do it.

I really do seem to like the plates best. I keep a couple of spare heating pads just in case the plate stops working. For a few years, I used heating pad caves (Mama Heating Pad brooding), these worked very well too.
I've had Quail (and chicken) chicks, outside with nighttime temps in the 20s when they were only a few days old using heating plate and/or heating pad cave, they all lived and were just fine.

Back
Top Bottom