is this normal

raspeary

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Cortland New York
I have 5 buffs and 2 rhode islands. We have two roosting spots in the coop. Every night, I only have 2 or 3 chickens (rarely 4) roosting at night. 4 of them normally just sleep on the ground....just wondering...if it was normal.

I'm not all that concerned becuase they seem to be happy and healthy. They just seem to prefer the floor to the roosts.

I had a bunch of hens who wouldn't roost, and I think it was because I had to move them into their coop from the brooder before I got the roosts up. They started out on the floor, and they never did get onto the roosts, except once when it rained so hard the floor was under water! When the water went away most of them got right back to sleeping on the floor, although a couple of them stayed on the roost.

Some roost and some don't. I have one girl who sleeps under the chickens roosts at night and sometimes she gets pooped on. I have tried to get her to move onto a roost or some place else. If've even moved her in the middle of the night. But she insists on sleeping on THAT spot.
th.gif
Guess she likes to be pooped on.
idunno.gif

Quote:
How wide are the roosts and how high are they off the ground?

Chickens "supposedly" need a foot each of roost space, once they're full grown.

I made a mistake on mine and put two of the roosts lower and too close to the upper one (used an old sawhorse). Nine of mine (~19 weeks old) roost on the taller 4' long 2x4. The other three are sol until I put extensions on the ends. They usually are on a nest box (covered w/pine shavings). Sometimes I see them on the lower roost.

Back
Top Bottom