Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BLaBauve, Jul 19, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a broody hen who has 4 baby chicks that follow her around in the run. They are about 9 days old now. I put out starter food for them, but I have no clue how much they actually eat of it. They prefer to follow Mom around and eat whatever she drops.

I noticed that the chicks seem to breathe really quickly. Sometimes I will see them just standing off to the side breathing quickly and shutting their eyes. Are they just exhausted from chasing Mom around so much? I know when I've raised chicks in a brooder they sleep a lot. I'm trying to figure out if this is normal behavior for chicks being raised with the flock, or if they are sick.

Any thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I really have no clue if that is normal or not, but I did notice my baby chicks doing the same thing in their brooder (which was quite large) before I moved them to the coops. They had room to run in it. They appeared to fall asleep at the drop of a hat whilst standing up and breathing quickly.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My GrandChick is very active, now at 3 weeks 2 days, but it's in spurts. It has to go everywhere at a dead run because hatch Momma Buffy can cover so much more ground with her longer legs. I also think the hot weather is contributing to the heavy breathing through panting.

4. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the replies. I'm starting to think they may actually be sick. This morning when I opened the coop door everyone came running out except for 1 little chick. I found it in a nest box breathing quickly. I brought it out into the run and made it drink some water - but then it just sat there. I have no idea what's going on with these little guys! Now maybe someone was picking on the chick in the coop - I have no idea. They do have to sprint around like crazy to keep up with Mom, so I know that's part of the breathing problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by