is this normal

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
Is this normal, my 17 week old barred rock rooster has some brown feathers on it. It is suppose to be pure bread I bought from ideal is this normal? IT is on its wings and there are just a couple . Has anyone else had this on theirs?

I was having some of those problems as well with the rooster who passed last yr. Even the hens are getting dark black to emerld green feathers and they used to be in shows. I thought it was there food or to much scratch. Hopefully someone will help us

Is he moulting into his adult feathers? Are the feathers all brown or just the black part's turning brown? Feathers to get dull after a few months of use so to say. As long as they act healthy, I wouldn't worry.

Well, there should be no brown feathers on a Barred Rock at all. Maybe you mean brassy, as in goldish-yellow, around the hackle area? If so, that can be from sun exposure or too much corn in the diet or even genetic. Is it anything like this pic or do you mean actually brown?
This poor guy had been fed nothing but corn when I got him and in three weeks of a good diet, the brassiness was gone:
DCP_4780.jpg

no it is not a brassy color like yours on his wings there are a couuple of feathers that look reddish brown and his tail has a greenish tint to some of the feathers too. It just does not look like a pure barred rock like I was suppose to receive from them.

Do you feed scratch? I did and have the green tint in the all black feathers. since I stopped some of the feathers are comming back but I still have one or two black left

Last edited:
we feed them what is called yard mix. It has corn soybean, peas, sunflower, and a whole bunch of other seeds in it, we also feed fresh veggies when we can they also get table scraps sometimes.

Have any clue on what is going on with my cockerel? I will try to post a picture of him I have to go outside here and get dh to get him so I can

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom