Is this normal?

Kristi912

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
My RIRs will be 3 wks. old Monday. When we first got them they didn't mind being held. Well that isn't the case anymore. They run to the other side of the cage when they see our hand coming near them. They chirp,shriek and flap their wings. I've tried hand feeding. I thought maybe they would associate my hands with getting fed. Which after they figure out I have food in my hand they do eat from it. They've even hopped into my hand but as they get bigger so does their beaks. Peaking is getting painful. They like to listen to us talk. They crane their heads up to find our voices they just don't liked to be touched. Is this normal?

so far i've only have chicks once, (but getting a few more this spring)

and it sounds perfectly normal to me.

i used to hold food in my hand for them to peck at, lol they do reach a certain velocity speed that does get painful ...

It does take some time to get them used to being held. We hold our chicks and "play" or interact with them several times each day. My boys also hold and play with them. Just keep at it. When you do hold them be sure they are comfortable and feel safe. We always hold them close to our bodies and they are more than comfortable. I hope this helps! Good luck!

I've found that normally the boys don't like being held so much as the girls...also with our BO chicks the older they got the less they liked being picked up! I had to wait till they flew onto my lap before they could be stroked
smile.png

perfectly normal! I usually talk to them when they're chicks. Especially at feeding time. "here chick chick chick" If they hear that enough at feeding or treat time they'll come running when they're older. I let my flock free range and and as soon as I set foot out the door they always come to see me.....the way to a chickens heart is through their stomach!!
smile.png

My chicks used to peck me as babies. Then it came to following me all over my bedroom and now at 3 months old. 3 out of 4 peck me but follow me and dont let them peck you at 3 months of age. It will hurt like heck and bleed

Back
Top Bottom