Is This Normal ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailmale, May 25, 2011.

1. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

My Coturnix have given me their first egg and are now crowing also, question is, is it normal with no extra lighting/dark night for them to crow off and on all night? I've had chickens before that would start at 03:00 but not all night. thanks

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Sounds normal to me [​IMG]

No coturnix crow shall go unanswered! No matter what the time of night, day or morning.

3. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    Don't know if it's normal, but it happens around here all night. [​IMG]

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

and here too .....but it's only my single males that do it.All the roo/hen groups are quiet all the time.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    THEY ALL CROW 24/7/365 AND AS JOES STATES... NO CROW SHALL GO UNANSWERED... OFTEN LEADING TO THE 3:45AM CROWATHON! [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    When one crows, another one goes, and another, and soon enough there is a crow contest [​IMG]

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The only time I had ridiculous crowing is when I had bachelors in a separate pen. They knew there were females nearby and crowed to them constantly. 2am seemed to be their favorite time to start [​IMG]

8. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Same answer from 4 or 5 different states.....must be realllll normal. I'm about 2 weeks from culling the extra roo's from this pen. It's not bothersome to me was just wondering. Thanks [​IMG]

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I don't think mine crowed nearly as much back in the dead of winter, between say Thanksgiving and about the first of March. They do it a lot more now.

I'm a little puzzled at all of the people who comment that it is loud. To me, they're tiny little birds with little voices, and it's really not much louder than a cricket or katydid in the summer. I find it very, very pleasant.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I am not sure why but when the timer turns off the lights they crow for just a bit but stop in about 5 minutes then start back up at daylight about 5 am here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by