Is this normal?

Update....

With hatch day looming tomorrow, EB (the drake) and Olivia apparently are setting up for the big event. She kicked 2 more eggs out this morning, then the two of them went for a bath. I picked the two up and put them in the bator. Anyway, my muscovies ar enot generally big on swimming but this morning they seemed intent on making sure they were soaking wet, every feather, every inch. They opened their wings and flopped. Then they got out of the pond, didn't shake and headed back to the nest. When they got there, they uncovered and very carefully lined up the remaining eggs. Then the two of them (yes EB too) settled down side by side with the eggs between them.

I'm thinking they know we're close! Neither one has moved since their bath..... I'll keep you posted!

I always put em back in the nest also. Sometimes they are good as gold and just get knocked out. The only sure way to know is to candle them if you want to take out the guessing. Good mother bad mother makes no rhyme or reason to me. Im like ducklover and try to put up some kind of lip or barrier. Right now I have a wad of various eggs because the bators are full that a female mallard and a cuban treeduck share sitting duties.(they also both layed in the same box of course) Its the wildest thing Ive seen in a while. They are both aggressive enough that if one gets off the other immediately takes over.I need to video the changing of the guard as I call it.
lol.png
Anyway the eggs should start hatching shortly. I am betting that they will hatch at various times because there is 20 eggs from at least 4 different species. And usually once the ducklings start out the mother will follow. But Im also pretty sure the way they are the other mother will take over the rest of the later hatch. I am very curious to see what will happen.
I've heard of ducks doing this, and I don't know if it'll happen with yours or not, but I've read that the resulting ducklings often get trampled in a dispute about whose they are....So I guess just keep an eye on them.

Update....

With hatch day looming tomorrow, EB (the drake) and Olivia apparently are setting up for the big event. She kicked 2 more eggs out this morning, then the two of them went for a bath. I picked the two up and put them in the bator. Anyway, my muscovies ar enot generally big on swimming but this morning they seemed intent on making sure they were soaking wet, every feather, every inch. They opened their wings and flopped. Then they got out of the pond, didn't shake and headed back to the nest. When they got there, they uncovered and very carefully lined up the remaining eggs. Then the two of them (yes EB too) settled down side by side with the eggs between them.

I'm thinking they know we're close! Neither one has moved since their bath..... I'll keep you posted!
pop.gif

I just don't know if i'm cut out for hatching my own! I have no patience..... My muscovy is still sitting with her drake. This morning she pulled out almost all of her wing feathers and added them to the nest. Prior to this her nest was lined with down from her chest and underbelly. Please tell me that means she's getting closer? My cayuga is supposed to hatch today as well, so far nothing.....

I can't take the waiting!!

I just don't know if i'm cut out for hatching my own! I have no patience..... My muscovy is still sitting with her drake. This morning she pulled out almost all of her wing feathers and added them to the nest. Prior to this her nest was lined with down from her chest and underbelly. Please tell me that means she's getting closer? My cayuga is supposed to hatch today as well, so far nothing.....

I can't take the waiting!!
Ducks have no time table to go by so they can be a day or 2 early or late. You need something to occupy your time like a building project. I could probably find a few things for you to do here to keep you occupied.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom