is this normal?

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
I read an article about chicken health and how to keep track of if they are healthy or not. one of the things it mentioned was how important the comb is and that it should be bright red and straight. I also read that black spots can be fowl pox. being that I am a first time mother hen this article got me a bit paranoid. so my question is mainly in regards to my roo jack. he is 2 months and 1 week old and his brother's comb stands straight up and is 100% red. jacks however flops to one side and has some black markings on it that (after reading that article) make me a little uneasy. here are some pics of jack's comb and some of my hens too. is it normal for his comb to flop like that and have those spots on it? he is a mix breed, the dad of all my chicks is a black maron but not sure what the hens were because they're dad was housed with multiple breeds of hens.

here is jack and his floppy comb

this is one of my hens, sally, her comb isn't all read but has a lot of black on it so wasn't sure if that was normal or not

here's another pic of jack's comb. I tried to get a descent one to show the black marks, this was the best I could do sorry
hmm.png

i'm new to this and learn something new everyday I spend with them and want to learn as much as I can to give them a great and happy life with me so I welcome all opinions and help
big_smile.png

they don't look like they have fowl pox the look normal the comb dosnt have to be straigth if it flops over its just 2 big most ligth sussexs comb flops over its normal

Back
Top Bottom