Is this normal?

LaceyLu96

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
I recently got back into raising chickens, and I am starting with an Araucana hen, a black Australorp hen, and a phoenix rooster. Well all 3 were the gentlest with moving, and getting them settled in,
my boyfriend decided he was going to start in chickens as well, so he got a rooster from a friend of ours, and we're not exactly sure the breed of chicken he is, but when we got him into the cage, it was very distraught and making a hollering noise and going crazy.
When we got him home, and let him out he was freaking out as well, he seems very healthy, and alert, but will he calm down, and is it normal for them to freak out ?
As far as we know he has never been handled, and he has been free ranging his whole life.
Thanks
PS: it was dark when we moved him, and we don't think he could see very well, so that could be a factor.

Yep, sounds like you just scared him a little. He will require devoted time to be somewhat tame if he has been completely free ranged and has had little human handling and contact. Good luck with him!

2 roosters and 2 hens is not a good mix.... The roosters will fight most all the time... 1 rooster and 2 hens is not a good mix.... The rooster will brutalize the 2 hens trying to mate all the time... 1 rooster to about 10 hens is normal......

Last edited:
Somtimes roosters will fight eachother and somtimes they'll get along. I currently have 2 roosters and around 15 hens, they all get along great! It'll probably just take him some time to get used to the new place, the new chickens & the new people! Good luck!

I must have overlooked that you already had a roo. If both roos are mature, you will want to watch them very closely. Having more than one roo is fine, but introducing two sexually mature males that have never seen each other, could turn ugly. I'm not saying that that is always the case, I'm just saying keep a close eye on them. A few more hens wouldn't be a bad idea either. However, my hen to roo ratio in my banty coop isn't the best either (it's like 7 roos to around 15 hens. not terrible, but not the best) but I haven't had any problems with over mating - yet anyway. I hope everything works out for you!

Last edited:
The roosters Aren't together, my phoenix isnt at all sexually mature, he's Quite young so he's not really even interested in the hens, but by the time he gets mature I'll have more hens. The new rooster unfortunately got out last night and hit the road. We're not sure how he got out, but the 2 roosters were not at all in the same yard or at the same house.

The roosters Aren't together, my phoenix isnt at all sexually mature, he's Quite young so he's not really even interested in the hens, but by the time he gets mature I'll have more hens. The new rooster unfortunately got out last night and hit the road. We're not sure how he got out, but the 2 roosters were not at all in the same yard or at the same house.
I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll find him or find another roo that suits you! =)

Back
Top Bottom