Is this normal?

shoefunn

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 31, 2014
My 2 white leghorns just started laying last Friday. I have gotten a nice clean, white egg from the first girl every single day, but the smaller hen has been laying pretty sporadic and her eggs are not as pretty. I wanted to post a picture of her egg to see if it looks normal. Hers are a little discolored and has some markings on them. I was wondering if she has worms or if it is just a typical egg for a new layer. Thanks!!!

When my hens start laying for the first time their eggs are very small and sometimes different looking, I usually compost the first lay. It's probably alright but if you're not sure throw it out, or you can even feed it back to them. After the first year of laying the hens can really pop out some nice ones. :)

Does she have poop on the feathers around her butt? ... or maybe she pooped in the nesting box when laying the egg (sometimes the pullets seem to do that). Or has it been muddy where you are (or around the waterer?) and her feet/ toenails are dirty?. That looks like something is making the egg shell dirty when/after she lays it.

Back
Top Bottom