Is this peacock ok?

About 4 years ago, a peacock and peahen showed up at our house. John and Priscilla. Priscilla has since past away but John is still here. Never claimed by anyone. Never found out how they ended up at my house. Keep it! They are beautiful.

About 4 years ago, a peacock and peahen showed up at our house. John and Priscilla. Priscilla has since past away but John is still here. Never claimed by anyone. Never found out how they ended up at my house. Keep it! They are beautiful.
We probably would! But he has a mate back where he was found 🙁

The most delicate part of peafowl are the legs and toes. When they are young and playful they tend to get into mischief roughhousing and will break toes or worse. When they get older because of their weight if they have an awkward landing they can easily sprain a leg and it takes time for nature to heal them. I think that is probably what happened to this guy. They don't stick every landing and one awkward landing will cause a couple of weeks of limping around. As for predators, those big wings give them the ability to flee and reach heights above danger so I wouldn't worry too much about returning him to his domain.

The most delicate part of peafowl are the legs and toes. When they are young and playful they tend to get into mischief roughhousing and will break toes or worse. When they get older because of their weight if they have an awkward landing they can easily sprain a leg and it takes time for nature to heal them. I think that is probably what happened to this guy. They don't stick every landing and one awkward landing will cause a couple of weeks of limping around. As for predators, those big wings give them the ability to flee and reach heights above danger so I wouldn't worry too much about returning him to his domain.
That is very helpful! Thank you so much!

On Saturday a friend was out hiking not too far from town and came across a peacock that was limping. The friend went near him and was able to pet him. The peacock ended up collapsing because of its foot. Someone else there thinks it’s probably a sprain. The friend was worried he would be taken out by a predator so they brought the peacock to our house. I have him in an enclosure that my ducks are usually in. He is walking much better but we have not heard a peep out of him. He eats but we have not seen him drink anything. He made his way to the top of the duck coop and stays there. We have no experience with peacocks. The hope is that we can return him where he was found but is all this normal behavior? Is he just recuperating or does he need to be taken to bird sanctuary or something? I named him Carl by the way. Our friend said he thinks he’s a runaway pet because of how docile he was.
In research, before buying my pair of peafowl, revealed that they drank a lot of water ... mine do not?

Back
Top Bottom