Is this poo normal?

sleepalot

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Background info:

I had 4 chickens, 1 died on Friday. :( vet thought she might've had diarrhea/anaemia as she was very thin, even though I hadn't noticed she was sick until the day she died.

I've been paranoid since and took 2 other chooks who I thought had had some diarrhea to the vet. Vet couldn't find any diarrhea in carrier box. Vent was clear, but they were very thin. Looked bright, no respiratory issue, comb colour was normal.

Was prescribed baycox for cocci, treated all 3 girls over 2 days. Wormed them again with moximax pour on, and was also advised to get liquid wormer that treated everything, so got some levamisole and mixed it with their water a couple of days ago.

They seem to be moulting at the moment, but poop have mostly looked normal (a bit of runny poo in the run yesterday but might've been cecal poo?), and this morning I found this poop in the coop:

Does it look like normal intestinal lining shedding or is it something I need to be concerned about?

I've been feeding them scrambled egg and mince or dried mealworms to try to fatten them up and help them with molting. All seem to still have good appetite and looking bright. No pale comb.

Can anyone help?

(X-posted on Australian thread)

Quote: How much Corid did you use? 1.5 teaspoons powder or 2 teaspoons liquid? If you did either of those for 5-7 days I would suggest worming them with Safeguard liquid for goats or Valbazen, if you gave less of the corid, I would re-treat with the amounts I mentioned, and I de-worm, too, lol.

-Kathy

How much Corid did you use? 1.5 teaspoons powder or 2 teaspoons liquid? If you did either of those for 5-7 days I would suggest worming them with Safeguard liquid for goats or Valbazen, if you gave less of the corid, I would re-treat with the amounts I mentioned, and I de-worm, too, lol.

-Kathy

I didn't use corid. The vet prescribed baycox and I just syringed it directly into their mouths for 2 consecutive days.

I've also wormed them with levamisole in their water and moxidectin pour on. Would it be safe to work them again with other stuff while they're molting?

Quote: Well it sounds like you did treat for coccidiosis, lol, Baycox should do the trick. Safeguard is not supposed to be given during molt, but I believe Valbazen can be.

Question, was it just one poop that looked like that? If so, that could very well be intestinal lining, but it's definitely *not* normal if you're seeing them everyday.

-Kathy

Well it sounds like you did treat for coccidiosis, lol, Baycox should do the trick. Safeguard is not supposed to be given during molt, but I believe Valbazen can be.

Question, was it just one poop that looked like that? If so, that could very well be intestinal lining, but it's definitely *not* normal if you're seeing them everyday.

-Kathy
No, it's just a one off. The past 3-4 days the poop in the coop were all normal (until this morning). There was a bit of runny poo in the run yesterday afternoon, but not sure if it was cecal poo. There was another lot of poo this morning that looked a bit runny on top (sorry!), similar to the one I posted but without the red bits.

Should I just keep an eye on them for the next couple of days and see if there are any more weird poos?

Back
Top Bottom