is this proper care - dog attacked chicken

huntersmoon

Songster
14 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Hi

Our dog got one of our hens by the back - let it go immediately but there were four puncture wounds under the left wing and across the back. We trimmed the feathers away, cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, and sealed two gaping ones with superglue using a bit of clean paper towel to bridge the edges together.. No organs were protruding, and the wounds were all one inch in length or less.

We've got her in a crate in a quiet darkened room. She is eating well, standing and moving around her crate a bit, laid an egg this morning, looks bright and alert. So i think she's on the mend but want to be sure there's not something else I need to do. I've read in some other posts in this subforum to rinse the wounds daily and we can do that.

I have an unused canister of Rooster Booster - bought it by mistake and never threw it away out of procrastinating disposing of abx. I read here that it was useless as a wormer and was just an antibiotic mix. Would it be desirable to add a bit to her water for some internal antibiotic, since i did close two of the wounds?

Thanks
Shannon

You need to keep an eye on the wounds for signs of infection. Since you glued them together, if an infection starts they will not be able to drain on their own. Bite wounds have a ton of bacteria in them.

Thanks, I was afraid of that - we patched them closed immediately in the aftermath and then saw online that it was best to leave them open. Two of the four we had been afraid to leave open thinking they were gaping too much. i'll watch and clean them.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom