Is this really a Scottish Terrier?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by racuda, Sep 1, 2014.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    We bought this puppy as a wheaten Scottie. I think her legs look a little long and her ears...look like elf ears!

She's very sweet and smart so she's a keeper. I just wonder what she is. A mix or poorly bred Scottie? She is 12 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    She could be a mix. Where'd you buy her from? Maybe a west highland terrier mix?

3. racuda

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I hate to say it but we found her on craigslist. We also have a Westie. Here they both are for comparison. [​IMG]

4. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Scotties do come in a wheaten color variety, but her facial structure doesn't look quite right to me. Looks more Westie. Hard to say as pups though!

5. karamel688

karamel688 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    SouthEastern MA
    That is def not a scottish terrier. Scottish terriers have a very long face. She might be a mix but she looks like a West Highland White terrier

6. avian

avian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    She's probably a scottie x westie mix because she doesn't seem to be just one of them.

7. racuda

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what she turns into. Here is a pic I took today of her standing to give a better impression of what she looks like. Her tail is only three inches long, shorter than my Westie's was at that age.

[​IMG]

8. racuda

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    A romp in the wet weeds has magically lengthened her snout and narrowed her scull. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    likely that she is just a poorly bred Scottie. Most of the dogs who are born in the US are from people who either don't know or don't care about making sure that the puppies will have correct conformation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by