Is this safe?

jessiduck

Songster
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
New York
So, today our female mallard friend came back to take a deeper look into her investigation of our ducks.
We first saw her when the ducks were swimming in their pool and she decided to take a look at them.
However, today was different. Today she landed in their run!
This FREAKED OUT Sonny and Skippy so they darted straight into the house... Ming-ming looked a little scared, but stayed outside to investigate (she was always inquisitive~!)
I was just wondering if the mallard would attack them or transfer any harmful diseases// parasitic worms to my ducks.
Is that even possible?
Some feedback will be greatly appreciated!

-Jess<3

I feel it is possible but not likely for a visiting duck to initiate conflict, especially a duck (female). As far as parasites, yes, that is a legitimate concern.

Aside from recognizing that second part, I don't have a hard and fast rule about it. My ducks go for walks with me around our yard, and I know that wild animals wander in the yard at night. If I see possum droppings I move them to where the ducks don't go. But birds fly overhead, sometimes dropping their calling cards in or near the day pen.

Primarily I watch the ducks themselves, and would notice, I hope, if a sickly looking wild waterfowl were visiting.

Very cool. DH is actually hoping some wild mallards come and mingle with our flock. He said the wild ducks use to visit his grandpa's ducks all the time when he was a kid.

Very cool. DH is actually hoping some wild mallards come and mingle with our flock. He said the wild ducks use to visit his grandpa's ducks all the time when he was a kid.

Aw! Cute story, Apyl! Maybe it's not that big of a danger then! I'll still keep an eye out for the wild duck! I'll change the food and water in the pen if I see that she's been in there to prevent disease spreading, though.

Thank you both for the feedback :)<3.

Back
Top Bottom