1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this sleeping behavior normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shend, Jun 6, 2011.

1. shend

shend Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2010
    west michigan
    My 4 hens start out the night all crowded into one corner of the coop. They have lots on room in there and by morning when I let them out they are on the ladder roost in there. But at night they jam in tight in the corner. Its weird looking.

Now, these 4 survived an ugly nighttime raccoon attack where 5 of their sisters did not. It must have been tramatic for them and I was wondering if this could bring on such nighttime behavior.

Anyone else experience this?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I haven't experienced it, but yes they can be traumatized by a predator attack. Some chickens may get over it quickly, but some may take quite a long time. They are very much individuals. Having said that, it's part of their survival instinct to mimic what the other members of their flock are doing. If one member of the flock is freaking, the others will usually decide it's with good reason and freak out too.

3. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    My broody chicken sleeps on top of her nonbroody chicken. It looks so weird, and I thought the sister on the bottom would protest, but she puts up with it. I guess this keeps the broody's chest nice and warm, as if she were sitting on eggs?

I've read a few other reports of this same behavior.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My Brahmas sleep in a multi-coloured pile in one corner of one pen. They have 2 pens to choose from (I have other chickens who go to bed later into the second pen), perches etc. but seem to prefer the floor.

They are led there by dominant rooster who is too heavy to get onto the perch.

i think it is habit at times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by