Is this some kind of record???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Backyard Buddies, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    213 days.

2 days shy of 7 months.

Nope, I'm not talking about age at first lay.

It has been 213 days since my EE laid her last egg on July 19th.

I was sure that my (now) nearly 3 year old girl had just retired from the egglaying business but it looks like she's back in action!

Elsie FINALLY laid an egg!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Whoa, 213 days?! Congrats! Send it in to Guinness!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  4. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    i have five or six hens and they usually leave me 3 eggs a day and i always right the number i get on my calendar much to my surprise we hit 150 eggs yesterday! annnnnnnnd they have only been laying since NOVEMBER!!! [​IMG] thats however doesnt count eggs i gather and disposed of during the ice storm and eggs that made it to my bator lol im lucky huh

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  5. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    Hey, I have an EE named Elsie.. hope she doesn't take a 7 month break!! Yikes...

Congrats on the return to business!

6. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Ahhhhh crazy hen quartet! [​IMG] I love the name Elsie for an EE. Our Elsie is the sweetest thing. She loves to talk to us. I also hope your Elsie doesn't take a long break.

mahen8622 - I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with an obsessive calendar plan. [​IMG] I've kept one on my girls since they were very little and have found it to be very helpful in understanding their patterns.

I suspect that my girl's issues were to do with a mislabeled food batch. They stopped laying a few weeks after a new bag of feed in late June. One of the girls laid months worth of soft shelled eggs or warped eggs. The next bag I purchased, I suspect, was from the same pallet. I had a post at the time saying that I thought that was the problem.

A few weeks ago, I got more feed and started increasing their protein. All three girls are now laying again. The girl with the warped eggs is laying perfect eggs now. [​IMG]

And. . . . Elsie skipped Wednesday but gave us two more beautiful sage green eggs - one yesterday and one today!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by