Is this something to worry about?

Kmooneyhan3910

Chirping
Feb 14, 2018
Portland Tennessee
487BC7FA-3DF5-40BC-8C11-1878D81F95FA.jpeg
Is this something I should worry about and is there a way to help/prevent/cure it?

It looks like possible rooster damage. Do you have any roosters? How long have you had her? I would make or purchase a hen apron, and separate the rooster to give her a break. The hen apron or hen saddle will cover her and prevent sunburn until her feathers grow back after the next time she molts. Look her over well under wings and elsewhere for any cuts or puncture wounds from spurs.

It looks like possible rooster damage. Do you have any roosters? How long have you had her? I would make or purchase a hen apron, and separate the rooster to give her a break. The hen apron or hen saddle will cover her and prevent sunburn until her feathers grow back after the next time she molts. Look her over well under wings and elsewhere for any cuts or puncture wounds from spurs.
Yes there is currently one rooster in with her and 3 hens, I incubated her and the others and they were born last may so they are almost a year old but thank you for the help I will definetly quarantine her for 2 weeks or so

Young cockerels can be pretty hard on the girls the first year and a half. I had about 20 pullets to one rooster, and they still had some feather damage. I made some polarfleece no-sew hen aprons, and the next year when they grew in new feathers after their molt, they never had that problem again.

I agree that the ratio of hens to roosters may be off. Usually it is 8 - 10 plus hens to one rooster from what I've read. Adding more hens will make it easier on the ones you currently have.

Here is a link to a free pattern if you want to make your own:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/free-chicken-apron-saddle-pattern.424354/#post-5201261
My personal preference is outdoor fabric (like sunbrella) as it sheds water and does not catch on pin feathers growing in, also holds up really well. I buy it on clearance, ugly or not, and put a layer of low-loft batting or fleece between the fabric layers which helps keep it in place.
You can also purchase them here if sewing is not your thing: http://www.hensaver.com/
Ditto on the hen/rooster ratio, you need more hens or less rooster. And some roosters are just rough. Separate him out for a while and give the girls a break while you decide what to do long term.

I used 7x8 inch pieces of an old polar fleece sweatshirt, and made quite a few hen saddles. There are pictures if you Google polar fleece hen apron, but I just cut 2 slits about2 inches long and slipped the wings into those. Then I trimmed any excess material. I made a couple of larger ones, some smaller ones. Occasionally they would slip them off, but usually they stayed on. Initially the others would be scared of the hen saddle (mine were bright orange, LOL, but if I put them on at night, they usually didn’t notice.

Back
Top Bottom