1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this splayed leg or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CinnamonQueen12, Apr 1, 2012.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    This chick hatched earlier this morning and a few hours later I noticed that she could not walk or stand. Her legs fold under her sideways, an when she struggles to walk, her left foot reaches over her wing. Is this splayed leg or something worse?

2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Update on chick: she still cant walk. Her legs are in a brace for splayed leg, whether she has it or not. Her knee joints on both legs are slightly red and swollen. When you try to straighten out her legs, she struggles and chirps, as if it hurts. She is happiest with her legs folded under her. She can sit up (sort of) on her knees and to move, she flaps her wings and scoots herself around on her bum. She tips sideways alot, and even with her legs taped she still manages to reach one of her feet under her wing to hit the back of her head every time she tries to move. Does this sound like splayed/spraddle leg to anyone, or is it something else?

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Doesn't sound like splay leg but it's hard to say without a photo. Was the chick an assisted hatch? Give vitamins in the water for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by